Lommán’s Bonanza of Backgrounds: Hexbared
“Here shame dissuades him, there his fear prevails,
And each by turns his aching heat assails.”
“Here shame dissuades him, there his fear prevails,
And each by turns his aching heat assails.”
The following material contains extensive discussion of sexual activity, and may not be appropriate for all groups and/or players. Please do not use this material in a game without approval from the GM as well as the other players.
This material is still in the process of being playtested. It is fully usable as written, but may be refined or changed in later versions. As always, this content should only be used with GM permission.
Perhaps you made a pact with a fiend who, to remind you that you are its servant, placed an incredibly powerful enchantment upon you which causes any clothing placed upon you to simply fall right off of you. Or you might have played hard to get with the avatar of a dwarven trickster god who “gifted” you with indestructible nipple and genital piercings which destroy any clothes placed over them. Or maybe you are the offspring of a powerful incubus and a mortal and now as an adult you are both incredibly beautiful and entirely psychologically incapable of covering your beauty or allowing anyone else to do so. Perhaps your family has been afflicted with a generational curse which affects just one individual at a time and when your great uncle who you knew very little about passed away, suddenly you found yourself allergic to clothing that would keep you modest.
Regardless of the particular cause, you are indelibly “cursed” to remain naked (either partially or completely, depending on the particulars of your situation) no matter the circumstances. Maybe you have learned to make the most of your humiliating predicament, or maybe you are still extremely embarrassed by it, but in any case you have spent more than a little of your free time studying curses, geases, and like to try to find a remedy.
Skill Proficiencies: Stealth, plus your choice of either Arcana or Religion
Languages: Two of your choice
Equipment: Three trinkets obtained in (ineffective) efforts to resolve your predicament, a flask of strong alcohol, and a pouch containing 15 gp
After one or two awkward interactions, authorities in an area will become aware of your curse and either take pity on your situation or discover to their chagrin that they are no more able to make you wear clothes than you are, and in either case will give up trying to enforce any sort of dress codes or indecency laws upon you.
Furthermore, thanks to your extensive research into your own situation, you have gained a broad familiarity with jinxes, hexes, and similar magics. If you fail an intelligence check to recall lore relating to curses, you know someone or some book you can consult for the answer unless the GM rules that the lore is unknown.
Being compelled into constant exhibitionism has a lot of social and psychological effects on you, and for better or for worse, your personality has been shaped by your predicament. Roll on, choose from, or take inspiration from the following tables when determining your personality traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws.
|1||I cope with my embarrassment by acting as rigidly prim and formal as I possibly can.|
|2||If I haven’t felt overly exposed in a few days I start to get restless.|
|3||I happily let people underestimate me for my own advantage, as long as they don’t try anything funny.|
|4||If I don’t constantly keep my hands busy, I will start to caress and tease myself without even meaning to.|
|5||After being cursed once already, I’m superstitious and paranoid about it happening again.|
|6||Constant flirtation is my preferred tool for keeping social situations from putting me on the defensive and feeling vulnerable.|
|7||I know exactly what kinds of accessories and jewelry won’t fall afoul of my curse. Just because I can’t wear clothes doesn’t mean I’m going to give up on being fashionable!|
|8||I’m nervous and hesitant, always whining about how embarrassing it all is.|
|1||Excitement. The “positive feedback” the curse provides whenever I set aside my hesitation and dive in to an embarrassing situation is a bit addictive and had made me into something of a thrill-seeker.|
|2||Liberation. Once I got used to it, I realized my curse has freed me from my crippling inhibitions and lets me live out my wild fantasies by preventing me from giving in to self-doubt.|
|3||Diligence. Even if the magical bargain I made didn’t compel me, I would still abide by my vow not to wear clothing simply to uphold my sense of honor.|
|4||Resourcefulness. Unable to use normal clothing or armor, I have learned to make the best of what tools I do have on hand. Attention can be a very useful tool.|
|5||Recompense. Fate has dealt an unfair hand and I intend to take in order to balance the scale.|
|6||Determination. No matter how humiliating, I won’t let this curse stand slow me down or change my path.|
|1||I won’t let this curse interfere with my heroic destiny. The world will simply have to accept a naked hero of legend.|
|2||I swear I will get revenge on the cult who placed this curse on me, even though I know that won’t lift it.|
|3||Five of us had our modesty stolen from us by that hag that night, and ever since we have become fast friends who will do anything to protect one another.|
|4||I’ve given up on trying to break my curse at this point. I just want to find someone who would willingly join me.|
|5||A powerful being has promised to keep someone dear to me safe from harm so long as I willingly submit to my curse for another year every winter solstice.|
|6||If I become a great enough hero for my deity, maybe I will be able to perform a miracle to lift my curse!|
|1||I am aware that I think with my loins more than with my head. I can’t help it. If I try to fight it it only gets worse.|
|2||When people push me about my predicament, I push back to try to break the image of vulnerability. I often overcompensate and end up in fights.|
|3||The magic which drives me to be so immodest doesn’t do anything about the embarrassment, so I am very quiet and shy around new people.|
|4||Making strangers aroused is, like, SUCH a turn on! Like, nothing else compares to that thrill!|
|5||The more lewd and embarrassing my thoughts are, the more likely I am to blurt them out impulsively.|
|6||I prefer to be subtle and stealthy. I can’t handle big crowds or public events where countless strangers will see me.|
NOTICE OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
This product includes Open Game Content that may only be used under and in terms of the Open Game License Version 1.0a
DESIGNATION OF PRODUCT IDENTITY
Product Identity in this document designated in accordance with section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a includes but is not limited to: Any and all Malachite Idol logos and identifying marks and trade dress, including all Malachite Idol product and product line names including but not limited to Malachite Idol Presents, all Malachite Idol logos, and all artwork, logos, symbols, designs, depictions, illustrations, maps and cartography, likenesses, and poses. Designated Product Identity is not Open Game Content.
DESIGNATION OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
All material in this document following the Playtest Version sidebar and prior to the Legal Appendix that is not otherwise designated as Product Identity is Open Game Content.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved. 1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3.Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, LLC.
System Reference Document 5.1 Copyright 2016, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, Rodney Thompson, Peter Lee, James Wyatt, Robert J. Schwalb, Bruce R. Cordell, Chris Sims, and Steve Townshend, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Lommán’s Bonanza of Backgrounds: SHexbared Copyright 2021, Malachite Idol; Author Patrick Johnson.
END OF LICENSE