Lommán’s Bonanza of Backgrounds: Elementclad Mystic
“Nature never did betray
The Heart that Loved her.”
-William Wordsworth, Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey
“Nature never did betray
The Heart that Loved her.”
-William Wordsworth, Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey
The following material contains sexual material, and may not be appropriate for all groups and/or players. Please do not use this material in a game without approval from the GM as well as the other players.
This material is still in the process of being playtested. It is fully usable as written, but may be refined or changed in later versions. As always, this content should only be used with GM permission.
You are exceptionally attuned to the primal forces of the world and have found a way, through rituals or by magical intuition, to clothe yourself in invisible energy of the four elements. Because your “garb” is made from nature it is uniquely able to protect you from the dangers of nature, instinctively balancing the strength of fire to keep you warm better than the best fur coat and water to stay cool better than even the best linen. No amount of hail or blazing sun impairs you at all…but only if you do not wrap yourself in the accoutrements of civilization known as clothing. Most elementclad mystics are either druids, hedge mages, or dedicants of deities of the natural world, but some are simply so intrinsically connected to nature and separated from civilization that they developed the ability spontaneously without realizing it is unusual until much later.
Skill Proficiencies: Nature, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism kit
Languages: One of your choice
Equipment: A druidic focus or holy symbol of a faith associated with nature or one or more elements,
an herbalism kit, and a pouch of nuggets of precious metals worth 5 gp
You are able to commune with the elements by leaving your body directly open to them, and in so doing gain a measure of ability to channel their power through yourself harmlessly. So long as you are nude, you are unharmed by the negative effects of temperatures between -50 degrees Fahrenheit and 150 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as high altitudes, non-magical weather, and any effects from breathing non-magical dust, smoke, or ash—although these may still impair your senses (such as fog or roaring winds).
Elementclad mystics are much more comfortable in the wilds of nature than in urban settlements, and often cannot comprehend or openly disdain much of the etiquette and social conventions of “civilized” society. That doesn’t necessarily mean they shun cities—they may view such communities as tragically cut off from their symbiosis with nature by the actions of distant ancestors or unfortunate necessities to protect people from looming threats from other forces. They are typically seen as strange by urban folk, but are often still welcomed for their natural insights as well as their…appealing…presence in the community.
|1||“Hot-blooded excitement” doesn’t even begin to describe my constant enthusiasm!|
|2||The natural world regularly demonstrates both intensity and serenity, and so do I.|
|3||The cool rain, the heat of the sun, the ground beneath my bare feet, the air on my naked skin…why would anyone ever want to cut themselves off from feeling the four elements?|
|4||I tend to half-tell parables about nature, forgetting to actually explain the metaphors.|
|5||I don’t see what’s so “dirty” about a bit of mud or dust. It’s good for the skin.|
|6||Don’t like my mood? Wait ten minutes.|
|7||I understand some people are picky about sex, but as far as I’m concerned, fertility is just another part of nature to share and rejoice in.|
|8||I wish more people were comfortable being naked to nature. Maybe I can help them try it out.|
|1||Nature. We should live the way we were created: naked, wild, and free.|
|2||Strength. If I exemplify the power and perseverance of the earth, nothing can push me aside.|
|3||Flexibility. A clever mind, like a rushing river, cannot be trapped or contained.|
|4||Harmony. It is through the combination of the four elements, including those seen as opposites, that the world is formed. So it is with people as well.|
|5||Beauty. Flames are a fleeting, dancing thing which bring warmth and renewal. I strive to reflect that comforting loveliness to the world.|
|6||Duality. When the time is right, the gentle breeze may build into a mighty hurricane.|
|1||The innocent are like flowers and butterflies, beautiful things that should be protected.|
|2||I worship the celestial whirlwind and seek to share her faith to any who would learn.|
|3||Those who have despoiled pristine wilderness must be destroyed.|
|4||I need to collect enough glass created naturally through volcanoes or lightning strikes to build the primal artifact that was shown to me in a dream.|
|5||Being able to feel the flow of magical energy is so wonderful. I won’t stop searching until I can find a way to share my gift with the world.|
|6||I wish to see as many different natural environments as I can.|
|1||So many people want to lay with me. Why would I deny them?|
|2||I find all the ridiculous etiquette and protocols of civilization to nothing but self-important pretense.|
|3||I hate sleeping inside of buildings.|
|4||I quickly become distressed if I can’t feel the air on my skin.|
|5||Cities and towns have so many ridiculous things about them that I can’t really tell when someone is telling me the truth about them or making things up.|
|6||My temper is like a volcano—sometimes slow to build, but explosive when it blows.|
NOTICE OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
This product includes Open Game Content that may only be used under and in terms of the Open Game License Version 1.0a
DESIGNATION OF PRODUCT IDENTITY
Product Identity in this document designated in accordance with section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a includes but is not limited to: Any and all Malachite Idol logos and identifying marks and trade dress, including all Malachite Idol product and product line names including but not limited to Malachite Idol Presents, all Malachite Idol logos, and all artwork, logos, symbols, designs, depictions, illustrations, maps and cartography, likenesses, and poses. Designated Product Identity is not Open Game Content.
DESIGNATION OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
All material in this document following the Playtest Version sidebar and prior to the Legal Appendix that is not otherwise designated as Product Identity is Open Game Content.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved. 1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3.Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, LLC.
System Reference Document 5.1 Copyright 2016, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, Rodney Thompson, Peter Lee, James Wyatt, Robert J. Schwalb, Bruce R. Cordell, Chris Sims, and Steve Townshend, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Lommán’s Bonanza of Backgrounds: Elementclad Mystic Copyright 2022, Malachite Idol; Author Patrick Johnson.
END OF LICENSE