Lommán’s Bonanza of Backgrounds: Gymnosophist
“He that is proud of the rustling of his silks…laughs at the ratling of his fetters.”
-Thomas Fuller, The Holy State and the Profane State
“He that is proud of the rustling of his silks…laughs at the ratling of his fetters.”
-Thomas Fuller, The Holy State and the Profane State
The following material contains sexual material, and may not be appropriate for all groups and/or players. Please do not use this material in a game without approval from the GM as well as the other players.
This material is still in the process of being playtested. It is fully usable as written, but may be refined or changed in later versions. As always, this content should only be used with GM permission.
While militant and knightly orders get the most prestige, the faithful of many deities have many other forms of holy orders as well. You are a member of an order whose oaths (be they permanent or renewed every so many years) involve an unusual form of asceticism—in particular a vow against wearing clothing. Depending on the faith and order, this may be a sign of humility and willingness to serve the community in exchange for basic needs, it may be a lascivious dedication to a deity of lust, or possibly you are pursuing a mystical set of mystery traditions designed to commune with a mysterious power. Perhaps members of your order usually spend their time working in festhalls, maybe they spend their days chanting prayers in the town square in exchange for free will donations, or they may even offer physical labor for those who need assistance in exchange for some food and a dry place to sleep. Your vocation may be a commonplace thing for worshipers of your faith, it may be a strange splinter order based out of a particular monastery, or it may just be a peculiar side position within the normal hierarchy of your religion. Whatever the particular details of your sect and the theological reasons for your practices, you are recognized as a mendicant holy person of some persuasion and can count on at least a bare minimum of support from those wishing to receive blessings or education in your faith.
Skill Proficiencies: Persuasion, Religion
Tool Proficiencies: One type of artisan’s tools or musical instrument
Languages: One of your choice
Equipment: An accessory which signifies your holy order or vocation (usually a piece of jewelry, a tattoo, body paint applied in a particular design, or the like), a holy symbol, a blanket, a sack containing trade goods worth 5 gp (received from a member of the faithful), and a pouch containing 5 gp
Whenever you are near farms, villages, cities, forts, or other settled areas, you are able to find a believer in your (or a like-minded) faith who will provide you (as well as your companions if it would not be a burden) with shelter, food, and drink in exchange for some religious service. The nature of the service depend on the particular practices and tenets of your religious order, but may involve labor (skilled or unskilled), performing blessings or rituals, instruction, or other practices of your particular sect. In poor areas or ones where your faith is outlawed or unheard of, you might only be provided with a Poor lifestyle, but in areas where the faith is prestigious, you might receive up to a comfortable lifestyle. Furthermore, in any place where your faith is not outlawed, you have special religious immunity to laws regarding nakedness or public indecency.
Most gymnosophists are accustomed to a relatively quiet life despite always being the subject of at least mild curiosity from lay people. Some find their oaths quite natural to practice, while others must continually suppress their embarrassment. A few may even be practicing the oaths for a span of time as a form of atonement for a violation of their faiths practices or a life of vice (by their deity’s standards) prior to conversion.
|1||I am quite eager to provide my variety of religious education to any who are willing (and also anyone too polite to say no).|
|2||I spend a great deal of my free time performing rites and rituals that may seem unusual to those outside of my order.|
|3||I enjoy using cryptic metaphors and parables.|
|4||Life should be enjoyed as much as possible, not only when feasts or luxurious celebrations make it easy.|
|5||Not everyone can travel to a festhall, so I try to bring the festhall with me, on some small scale.|
|6||I proselytize simply by demonstrating my strength and endurance for the benefit a community. Some will inevitably seek to emulate my success.|
|7||Education should be person to person. Books are only good for business ledgers and spells.|
|8||I try my best to seem serene regardless of the situation.|
|1||Ascetism. By avoiding reliance upon material comforts, I toughen myself up for the challenges of the world.|
|2||Honor. My oaths are a code I live by. The spirit of them is just as important as the words.|
|3||Hedonism. The world needs joy. And novelty. And pleasure. And excitement. And, of course, relief.|
|4||Charity. I rely upon the charity of strangers to remind myself of the importance of being charitable to strangers in return.|
|5||Enlightenment. I am a student of sublime disciplines, working to purify and perfect myself.|
|6||Aspiration. I strive to be an exemplar of my vocation, like the saints whose path I am following.|
|1||I aim to prove that just because the sworn nude clergy of my deity usually stick to temples and monasteries doesn’t mean we can’t strike out to defeat evil in the world too.|
|2||I conquer my natural vanity and arrogance by following my vows of humility and being of service to those in need.|
|3||The temple where I learned has nothing more to show me, so I have gone adventuring to train myself further and bring new teachings back to them.|
|4||The deities of joy, beauty, and pleasure need champions in the world just as much as those of justice and honor.|
|5||I seek to live up to the example of the visionary who taught me, and someday pass the practices on to others so that her teachings spread.|
|6||I serve a fertility deity by venturing forth to provide children to those willing faithful (and converts) who have no partner or who struggle to conceive.|
|1||I don’t carry alcohol or other intoxicants, but when they are offered, I tend to overindulge.|
|2||I am prone to self-doubt and sometimes when feeling insecure, I will act rashly to prove my worth.|
|3||I am very self-important, thinking myself superior because of my constant dedication to my principles.|
|4||Being the subject of flattery or flirtation often distracts me from whatever tasks I am supposed to be doing.|
|5||I don’t like staying in the same place for too long. I say it’s because I don’t wish to impose unduly, but really I just like novelty.|
|6||Since I don’t often earn or spend money, I’m bad at judging how much is a reasonable amount for an object or service.|
NOTICE OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
This product includes Open Game Content that may only be used under and in terms of the Open Game License Version 1.0a
DESIGNATION OF PRODUCT IDENTITY
Product Identity in this document designated in accordance with section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a includes but is not limited to: Any and all Malachite Idol logos and identifying marks and trade dress, including all Malachite Idol product and product line names including but not limited to Malachite Idol Presents, all Malachite Idol logos, and all artwork, logos, symbols, designs, depictions, illustrations, maps and cartography, likenesses, and poses. Designated Product Identity is not Open Game Content.
DESIGNATION OF OPEN GAME CONTENT
All material in this document following the Playtest Version sidebar and prior to the Legal Appendix that is not otherwise designated as Product Identity is Open Game Content.
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a
The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved. 1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3.Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5.Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, LLC.
System Reference Document 5.1 Copyright 2016, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, Rodney Thompson, Peter Lee, James Wyatt, Robert J. Schwalb, Bruce R. Cordell, Chris Sims, and Steve Townshend, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
Lommán’s Bonanza of Backgrounds: Gymnosophist Copyright 2021, Malachite Idol; Author Patrick Johnson.
END OF LICENSE